Azalea Trail is March 2, 3, and 4th 2018
River Oaks Garden Club (ROGC) was organized in 1927 by 27 residents of the emerging River Oaks area. It was not until late April 1935 that they held the first “Garden Pilgrimage,” as it was known then. That first year, there were 12 gardens on the tour, five of which were on Lazy Lane. Proceeds from the tour were used to beautify the grounds of River Oaks School, known today as River Oaks Elementary.
In 1936, the Pilgrimage became known as the Azalea Trail, as three gardens were opened in March to display azaleas in addition to the April Pilgrimage. People were unfamiliar with the beautiful azaleas because they were not native to the area, so ROGC used the Azalea Trail to educate the public on azaleas and horticulture.